SO IF THE SON SETS YOU FREE, YOU WILL BE FREE INDEED. - JOHN 8:36

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Journey to Freedom

Wow! I cannot believe this day has come. I am finally able and willing to share my story. There is so much I want to say, but I can't say it all in this one post. Freedom is a wonderful thing, because this was one thing that I was going to take to my grave!!

God has been picking at this sore spot for at least 4 years before I did anything about it. It seemed like every sermon at church was about it. On the news, all I heard was story after story about children speaking out against their abuser. And finally on Thursday, November 24, 2011, Thanksgiving evening, I surrendered to God's voice and broke the silence my sister and I had been holding for over 30 years. We were victims, and are now survivors of childhood sexual abuse. We were molested and raped by a family member when we were between the ages of 3 and 5. I know some survivors remember the length of time and their exact age, but because I was so young I can't remember the exact time, or how long the abuse occurred. I do, however, remember vivid details of what happened, what I had on, and where it happened. This is a memory that I will never forget.

It was not at all an easy decision to tell anyone. What really made me speak up was a story that we studied at a Tuesday night bible study. It was the story about Tamar, and how she was raped by her brother Amnon. After Tamar was raped and Amnon threw her out, she laid on the floor and cried. She felt worthless, like everything she had, had been taken from her. She prided herself in being a virgin, but her very own brother took one of the most precious things from her. The story just touched my heart because I felt her anger. I will never forget sitting in the Sanctuary with my stomach in knots because I knew it was time to speak up. This was in June of 2011. The very next day, on the way to work, I told my sister that I couldn't hold it anymore and I was going to tell. She, without hesitation, said okay, I've got your back. After all of that I still did not say anything until five months later on Thanksgiving. It was like the words were on the tip of my lips, but I just could not put any sound to them. Abusers have an unbelievable control over their victims that keeps them in a bondage that they don't even know they're in.

We first told a close cousin, who then convinced us to tell our mother. They believed us, as I knew they would, and was very supportive. We then decided to confront our abuser. Of course we had no idea what was going to come out of this, but at this point there was no turning back. I felt like I had made a huge mistake by even bringing all of this up, and maybe it was better when I kept silent. Deep down I knew that was far from the truth. When the phone call was finally made, and after 30 years of carrying his guilt and shame, he had the nerve to call us liars. What a devastating blow. Knowing that my sister and I were telling the truth, it turned into our word against his. Even though I knew this was definitely a possibility, just hearing the word liar was horrifying.

Like many survivors we kept this secret hidden for years. In actuality, we kept it "hidden" from each other. Growing up we never discussed anything that happened. There was however, and understanding of what went on, although nothing was exchanged verbally. The first question that is always asked is, "Why did you wait so long to say something?" If you are reading this and have gone through sexual abuse, then you understand. I don't think it is something you can explain. There is an underlining shame, fear of disappointing other family members, and partly to protect the abuser. I had so many thoughts of other people. How would my mother react to this news? I didn't want to hurt her. What about the family? Everyone is going to blame us for telling this story. People will call us liars, and say we made this entire thing up. What about the immediate family of the abuser? This will be devastating to them. The thoughts would go on and on. You think about everybody else but you. What I had to come to understand, and other victims as well, is that it was not my fault. I had no reason to feel guilty, or even ashamed. But it's amazing how guilt will creep in and have you believing that you are doing something wrong by telling the truth.

I now understand that holding on to my story and keeping it a secret will do more harm than good. Not just for me, but for other women, or even men, that share the same story. If you are reading this, and want to say something but just can't find the words, they are there. I completely understand how scary it can be. God is the restorer and the healer. He can mend every scar and every broken piece, if you trust Him and allow Him to. If you have to cry, cry. If you have to scream, scream. Whatever you need to get it out, please do. I am not a counselor, I am just someone who has been through the same thing you have. It's so unfortunate that this happens so often in our society. Once I decided to be open with my past, I have found that so many people, both men and women, have the same story.

There has to be an increased awareness of sexual abuse. God has directed me to become an advocate for adult survivors. I cannot thank Him enough for choosing me to be the Voice for so many people. He has given me a brand new freedom, and can give you the same thing. You don't have to be silent anymore. I pray that God gives you the strength to Move 4ward, and the peace that passes all understanding.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It will be updated weekly on Thursdays. There is so much more to this journey. If you want to speak with me privately you may send me an e-mail, I will definitely respond. Or if you are seeking counseling, or any other assistance, please see the links at the bottom of my page. If you have a story that you would like to share, please do so. This blog is to support those who have suffered from abuse, and just need somewhere to be free. I understand the silence, I just broke free less than 6 months ago after 30 years.

11 comments:

  1. Well done my sister, well done! I love you very much and you have my undying support! Continue to let God use you to help free His people that are in this horrible bondage. You have no idea what is to come of this, and how many people will be delivered just from you being brave enough to allow God to use you. With you all the way! Your BFF--you know who ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you BFF..LOL. I appreciate you guys so much, y'all have been so supportive. I cannot thank you enough, love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dionna, congratulations on your step into new freedom! This truth is so powerful and will be a catalyst for other victims to have to inhibit this same courage! God bless your continued journey. I look forward to your next proactive step towards exposing abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dionna, thank you so much for sharing. My heart goes out to you and to your sister, and I'm so proud of you for releasing all that was inside of you and freeing yourself so that you can now have the rewarding life you deserve. When you hold on to something for so many years, it does more harm than good. You now know your purpose and God will use you to help heal the lives of so many others. God bless you and I will follow you through this wonderful journey you're about to embark upon, because you chose to do the right thing. Tell your sister I said hello and much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dee,you make me sooo proud. I know it took all the courage inside of you to confront your abuser. There will be negative and positive reactions from people, including family members. Don't let them make the abuser the victim, YOU are the victim.I will stand behind you and your sister all the way. You guys are family and I love both of you. The chains are gone, you broke free!! Freedom must feel AWESOME! I'm here if you need me, just a phone call away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! I am so proud of you sister!!! Love Ya....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very proud of you girl! You are one strong woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dionna, Thank you for sharing your story. I would not have never known that you were sexual abused as a child until now. I'm so proud of you coming forth to tell you and your sister's story. I was taught that we can't tell other people what GOD can do for them if we have never been through something ourselves. This is your season and walk in it. Stand on GOD's word and continue to be a blessing to others because this is part of your ministry. If you need me for anything, you know how to reach me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear that you were able to speak, even if it took 30 years! Dionna, I always knew you were a Strong Woman, it doesn't suprise me that God chose you to help others, it too will be your healing process. I will keep you and your Sis in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOD!!! You never know what a person is going through or have ben through in their life. You are being HEALED from the inside out. The question can easily be asked, why did you take so long to speak out, 30 years is a long time, but to the victim, it always feels like it happened yesterday. I know your story has already helped lots of people, some will speak out some will not.
    Keep doing what God will have you to do.
    God bless you my Sister. My prayers are with you and your Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Dee Dee, First I would like to commend you on your obedience to God by stepping out on faith and sharing your story I also thank your sister for partnering with you. Sometimes we may wonder what is really on the inside of a person, trying to figure them out. Would I have ever guessed you were a victim of abuse? No, your smile and laughter are so hearty and genuine. You have a way making people feel like they know you, like they can trust you. What the enemy meant for evil God has used it as part of his master plan for your life. The word of God says in Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you,saith the Lord,thoughts for peace and not for evil,to give you an unexpected end. Sis., Although you both were victims of a horrible abuser, God alraeady knew the path he had for you. He knew you would make it through. Jesus said he would never leave you or forsake you, and he never did. Dee Dee you will the voice for so many and you will also be the voice for those who would have been abused...... but because of your obedience to God exposure will come and children male and female will be protected from the snare of the enemy. Use your voice to make a mighty roar to bring awareness and information for those who may be at risk. I'm Thankful to God for you and your Dear Sister because as you grow stronger others will grow with you and I feel in my spirit that lives will be changed, set free, and spared. Remember to stay focused on God and his master plan for your life, walking in love and forgiveness and know that, No Weapon Formed Against You Shall Prosper and That Every Tongue That Rises Up Against You In Judgement Shall Be Condemned. I Love You and Support you and if you ever need me, I'm here.

    With All My Love,
    Sister Donna Vickers

    ReplyDelete